Move over tofu scramble, there’s a new scramble alternative in town, and it’s vegan, gluten free and soya free! I woke up one morning really craving an ‘eggy’ breakfast dish but all I had in the cupboard were chickpeas. I decided to give it a go and it worked amazingly, so I’m sharing it for you all to enjoy. It’s super easy, quick and only uses a few cupboard staples, so let’s get cooking.
The recipe below makes one rather hearty portion, enjoy!
- 1/2 tin of chickpeas & the chickpea water
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp black salt (for the eggy taste – it would still be tasty without this if you don’t have it to hand)
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- Pinch or two of paprika & cumin
- Half an onion
- Spoonful of dairy free butter / margarine
- Open your can of chickpeas and keep the chickpea water to the side. Mash the chickpeas in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the spices & pour in a little bit of chickpea water to make a ‘paste’
- Transfer the spice mix into the chickpeas and mix until evenly covered. Add a little more water here if you think it is too dry, but you don’t want it soaking either! I find it easier to mash the chickpeas some more at this point too
- Whilst your chickpea mixture marinades, chop your onion and fry in a pan until translucent
- Once the onions are cooked, add your chickpea mixture to the pan along with a tsp or so of butter*
- Cook through and stir often until piping hot
- Serve & enjoy!
*At this point you can also add any extra veggies that you fancy – I added some mushrooms but peppers, spinach or tomatoes would also make a great addition.
As always, let me know if you make this! Really hope you love it as much as I do x